Monday, January 24, 2011

Clinbing Mount KK - My training plan

I'll be climbing Mount KK in May so i've decided to create a training plan and log all my training activities here :)

I googled abit on climbing mount KK preparation and I came across this interesting and very informative blog.



The climb
Day 1: Need to ascend 1473m from park headquarters (1800m) to guest house at Laban Rata (3273m)
Day 2: Need to ascend 822m from Laban Rata (3273m) to Low's peak (4095m), then descend to Laban Rata then park headquarters.


Note: 1 storey is about 2.5m.

So this means on day 1, I need to climb 590 storeys and on day 2 climb up 330 storeys!!!


I've climbed up to Laban Rata several years ago. I didn't climb to the peak because my friends didn't want to. This time I'm planning on reaching the peak. That time I trained at Bukit Timah once a week and climbed 40 storeys twice a week. I don't think I need to train that hard to reach the peak but I would like to make the climb as *easy* as possible.

Exercise tracker
I'm training by climbing stairs at a 28-storey residential building. I walk up, then take the lift down, and walk up again. The reason for not walking down is: I do not want to give my muscles a chance to rest. 112 storeys is quite the norm for me. I can complete it in less than 30 minutes and not get any muscle aches from it. But I feel so far away from the 590+330 storeys :( I really need to step up my training!
9 Aug: 112 storeys
11 Aug: 112 storeys
14 Aug: 6km trail run, grade: difficult
15 Aug: Rock climbing
20 Aug: 3km walk, flat road
21 Aug: 9pm run, flat road (1hr 11min)
24 Aug: 112 storeys
26 Aug: 2.4km run, stadium circuit (14:56)
29 Aug: Rock climbing
....

---Updated on 1 Sep---
Training plan scrapped! My friend has to work that weekend so we won't be climbing.




Great input there! Too bad she couldnt make it for her 2nd climb.


No comments: